Nidec and Embraer Form Joint Venture to Develop Electric Propulsion System

Nidec Corporation of Japan and Embraer of Brazil launched a joint venture business, Nidec Aerospace LLC, to develop Electric Propulsion Systems for the aerospace market.

The merger unites two world-class engineering firms’ complimentary synergies and different areas of expertise to usher in a new era of air transportation.
The JV, which will be announced at the 54th biennial Paris Air Show, aims to create new opportunities by offering a global portfolio of agnostic products and services, initially spurred by the rise of the Urban Air Mobility (UAM) business.

Embraer’s more than 50-year history of complementary aerospace experience will be leveraged by Nidec Corporation to design, certify, produce, and commercialise next-generation electric propulsion systems based on well-proven technologies suitable for powering more efficient and greener aircraft models.

The JV will develop and produce the Electric Propulsion technology for electric Vertical Take-Off Landing (eVTOL) vehicles, with the goal of eventually making the technology available for non-eVTOL vehicles.

Nidec Aerospace will be a joint venture, with Nidec holding 51% and Embraer owning the other 49%. The headquarters, which will be housed at Nidec Motor Corporation (NMC) in St. Louis, Missouri, will be supported by both firms’ current manufacturing footprints in Brazil and Mexico.

Prior to our collaboration, both Nidec and Embraer had a long history of technological and business collaboration with other global partners, and they were constantly exploring a variety of sustainable concepts, prospecting technologies, and high-growth-potential markets in order to deliver greater value to their respective stakeholders.

More from MTDCNC