Cutting Tool Management – Save Time by Automating Tool Reworking
In the previous post we discussed Gantry / Central Tool Storage tool automation (CTS). This is a system capable of sharing tools from a large, centralized tool storage to different machines, greatly improving machine tool utilization and lights-out times. With CTS, the only thing left up to the operators is tool reworking. But what happens when tool reworking starts to form a bottleneck on the shop floor? Extremely short tool lifetimes combined with a constant and high demand for renewed tools can quickly make tool reworking into a full-time job.
In these cases, tool automation can be extended to optimize the tool setup process as well, allowing for more efficient labor utilization for tool reworking. Let us introduce to you Fastems’ latest development for the most advanced tool management needs: Tool Service Cell (TSC).
How does TSC work?
- Fastems tool automation automatically brings worn out tools to reworking.
- The robot cell moves tools through the reworking process, returning the reworked tools back to tool automation at the end.
- The only thing the operator needs to take care of is changing inserts in an ergonomic tool loading station which holds up to four tools at once.
- Automatic tool washing and drying.
- Automatic tool presetting.
- MMS plans and schedules the tool reworking order based on upcoming production needs.
Machine tool utilisation above 95% + efficient labor usage
With short tool reworking times and an intelligent reworking scheduling, machine shops can achieve machine tool utilization of even above 95%. The biggest benefits of the Tool Service Cell, however, are gained by the operators: tool reworking is now something they can plan in advance and do all in one go without interruptions. This improves job flexibility and allows for longer unmanned periods. In addition, a tool loading station with spinning tool positions allows changing the inserts for up to four tools at once, removing heavy and repetitive lifts, and greatly reduces safety risks related to sharp tools.
Find out more:
- Fastems’ Tool Reworking Cell (TSC)
- Cutting Tool Management – Avoid Idle Time with Predictive Planning
- Cutting Tool Management – No Scrap or Spindle Crashes Due to Wrong Tool Offsets
- Cutting Tool Management – Increase Flexibility and Lights-out Time with Shared Tools